The State Protection and Guard Service of the Republic of Moldova is an independent state body with functions in the field of national security, specialized in providing protection for the Moldovan dignitaries, the foreign dignitaries during their stay in the Republic of Moldova, and their families, within its legal competence. It also provides guard for the headquarters and residences of the above-mentioned dignitaries.
In order to fulfil the provisions of the Law no. 134 dated 13.08.2008 on organisation and functioning of the State Protection and Guard Service, the Service, through its specialized structures, organizes and carries out activities in order to prevent and annihilate any action that might be a threat to the life, physical integrity, freedom of action and health of the persons whose protection is in its charge; carries out the guard and defence of these persons' headquarters and residences;
The SPPS, through its specialized structures, has among other, the following functions:
- Conduct, during the missions of protection and guard, the activity of all the participating forces, in the scope to protect the objective is in its charge and the management of crowds that surround it;
- Organize and carry out activities in order to prevent and annihilate any action that might be a threat to the life, physical integrity, freedom of action and health of the persons whose protection is in its charge; carry out the guard and defence of these persons’ headquarters and residences;
- Organize and carry out, overtly or under cover, activities of gathering, checking and using the necessary intelligence, only with a view to completing its missions accordingly to the law. Any information of a different operative value will be immediately transmitted to the authorities that are legally qualified to check and use it;
- Organize and conduct, during the missions of protection and guard, the activity of all the participating forces;
- Intervene, independently or in cooperation with other institutions designated by the law in order to prevent or counteract the actions that may endanger the life, physical integrity, health or freedom of action of the protected as well as the security of the guarded objectives. It also intervenes to capture or annihilate the terrorist and aggressive elements.
The State Protection and Guard Service is an active member of APPS (Association of Personal Protection Services). The personnel of the State Protection and Guard Service are internationally acknowledged as well-trained so that the protection officers ensure optimal security conditions for events attended by foreign dignitaries, such as European and international summits held in the Republic of Moldova.
The State Protection and Guard Service has organized a number of training sessions in the field of close protection and counter-terrorist interventions for the representatives of the protection services from the region, i.e. Moldova, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Georgia, and also organized training sessions for certain structures of the national system public order and national security.
The ever-evolving nature of threats in today’s environment has boosted the Service to continuously assess the requirements and measures provided to the Principals whom we are responsible for in order to remain vigilant and abreast of new developments in the field of security and protection. Considering these needs, on 24 April 2015 a Protocol of Cooperation in the field of professional training of personnel was signed between the protection services of the Republic of Moldova, Romania and Georgia. A year later, on 5 April 2016 the Protocol was extended by joining of the protection service of Bulgaria and Ukraine. A range of activities have already been conducted, aimed at professional training of the close protection officers so that they might be able to meet the international security requirements in terms of providing protection and counteracting any actions/ incidents, including terrorist acts, that might endanger the security of the state dignitaries.
For more information visit our website: www.spps.md